Vipers sail past Police to edge closer to clinching the championship

Milton Karisa scored Vipers’ opener (Vipers media photo)

By: David Gombe

Milton Karisa and Dan Sserunkuma goals guided Vipers to a 2-0 victory over Police. The win sees the Kitende outfit cruising in towards the league title with 3 games to go.

Milton Karisa gave the home side a deserved lead in the 8th minute with a cool finish sending the Kitende faithfuls into a frenzy.

In the 20th minute, Vipers midfielder Taddeo Lwanga was forced off with a back injury and was replaced by Brian Nkuubi.

Norman Ogik had a chance to put the scores level in the 22nd minute with only Vipers goalkeeper Ismail Watenga to beat but he failed to capitalise on the golden opportunity.

Moments later Milton Karisa failed to double Vipers lead with only an empty net following a mistake by Police custodian Douglas Kisembo.

Dan Sserunkuma doubled the hosts lead in the 36th minute with a tap in off a quality cross from Milton Karisa who was at his best in the first 45 minutes. At halftime it was 2-0 in favour of the home side.

Enter the second half, the visitors came back a different side and they were the dominant side in the resumption pressing hard for a sparkling goal but couldn’t break down an organized Vipers side.

Mousa Mbayi and Pius Wangi were also introduced on in the closing stages for Moses Waiswa and Duncan Seninde respectively.

The visitors also made the following changes with Sadat coming on for Martin Mpuga, Juma Balinya for Shakur Makeera and Derrick Kakooza for Ruben Kimera

By full time whistle, goals from Milton Karisa and Dan Sserunkuma were enough to seal the deal for the hosts.

Victory sees the Kitende outfit move to 58 points at the summit and 5 points above second placed Villa who will visit UPDF in Bombo tomorrow . They next face a tricky trip to Kirinya Jinja SS FC on Tuesday 8th May.

Despite defeat, Police stays 8th placed with 35 points accumulated in 28 games, they next play Maroons on Saturday 12th May 2018.

%d bloggers like this: