SINAN RAJUB SENOGA
FUFA Big League side Kiboga Young rallied from a goal down to edge St. Mary’s Nabweru 2-1 at the Bamusuta SDA playground.
St. Mary’s took the lead through former Express, Bright Stars and Onduparaka striker Yafesi Mubiru who finished off a wonderful ball from Faizal Sekyanzi at the half hour mark.
Four minutes into the second half, Abbas Kateregga levelled matters for the Felix Ssekabuuza coached team tapping in a lose ball from a corner kick.
The home side then took the lead five minutes later through Willy Kalyango who was on the receiving end of a Brian Mugume routine long throw in.
At the end of the proceedings, Kiboga Young were able to book a berth in the round of 16 of this year’s Uganda Cup tournament.
St. Mary’s who had previously knocked out a FUFA Big League team in Kira United, agonizingly miss out on becoming the only Kampala Regional League outfit in the last 16’s.
In the other games played on Tuesday evening, defending champions KCCA FC were ejected by Wasswa Bbosa’s Tooro United courtesy of penalty kicks following a 1-1 draw.
Wakiso Giants edged Kireka United 5-4 on penalties after both sides had played to a 2-2 stalemate at Namboole.
Wakiso Giants, Kiboga Young and Tooro United complete the full list of the 16 teams left in this year’s edition.
• Tooro United 1(3) – 1(1) KCCA FC
• Kiboga Young 2-1 St. Mary’s
• Kireka United 2(4) – 2(5) Wakiso Giants
Full List of the last 16 teams
Qualified Clubs to Round of 16:
• Uganda Premier League: URA FC, Vipers SC, Express FC, Onduparaka FC, BUL FC, Bright Stars, Police FC
• FUFA Big League: Wakiso Giants, Kyetume FC, Kiboga Young, Proline FC, Bukedea Town Council, Nebbi Central, Kitara FC
• Regional League: Nkambi Coffee FC