MASAZA CUP: Ssingo edges Busiro as Gomba vs Buddu ends pre-maturely.

By: David Gombe 

•Busiro 0-1 Ssingo
•Gomba 0-1Buddu (Abandoned on 83rd minute)

Ministers for sports in Buganda and Busoga governments, Henry Ssekabembe and Alex Luganda were the guest of honour at Sentema as Busiro played hosts to 2015 champions Ssingo in a game officiated by center referee Male Geoffrey assisted by Mulindwa Hakim and Mpanga Ali with Kaddu Ali as the 4th official.

The first 20 minutes were dominated by the hosts, Maido Gerald missed the first chance in the 16th minute to find Busiro the opener with goalkeeper to beat thus shooting over the bar.
Ssingo later developed into the game with Isaac Otto causing all sorts of problems to Busiro defence, his efforts later paid off 27 minutes off the clock when he found the opener for the visitors courtesy of Kisitu Nvule Jamil’s through ball.

Earlier in the second half Ssingo continued to pile the pressure on hosts Busiro to find the second but Busiro defence was ready to hold on to keep the score on a 1-0 margin.

Ssingo made the first substitution 16 minutes off the second period of the game with Kisitu Nvule Jamil coming off for Mugume Brian, then four minutes later Busiro’s Kasule Richard was replaced by Kalibwami Hamza.

In the final 10 minutes Busiro were in search for the equaliser but couldn’t find a way through a well commanded Ssingo defence led by Wilberforce Magumba and Kalevu sinaya thus helping Ssingo to hold on to a 1-0 lead which was also enough to seal a priceless away win.

Despite defeat on his home ground, Busiro head coach Kiwanuka is still optimistic that his team can also cause an upset when they visit Ssingo Next Week,

“We still have a chance to make the final though a simple mistake led to the loss but we shall fight hard in Mityana so as to reach the finals. My team had a great game though at the end of the day victory went the other side.”

Opposite number Shafiq Bisaso admitted that the tie is far from over and thus there is no time to take the foot off the pedal. He said after the away victory,

“The advantage belongs to us after today’s game but this doesn’t mean we have progressed to the final, we still have to play the second leg at home next Sunday, We should we know that they have the capability to hurt us as we managed to beat them in their own backyard.”

“The job is only halfway done and we still need to stay focused and complete the task at home. “
Concluded Bisaso.

The other semi final saw joint record champions Gomba host defending champions Buddu at Kabulasoke. The game however ended in the 83rd minute due to a fight resulting from Gomba supporters occupying the field on allegations that their goalkeeper Yiga Jose was knocked down by Buddu players as in the build up to Mikidad Ssenyonga’s goal.

This means that the competitions committee will seat on Wednesday 9th this month to give the final verdict basing on the referee’s match report.

The second leg semi finals encounters will be played on Sunday, 13th, August with, Buddu hosting Gomba at Masaka Recreation grounds and Ssingo taking on Busiro at Mityana Ssaza grounds.

The aggregate winners will face off to determine the champion of the 2017 edition at Mandela National stadium on 26th, August, 2017.

%d bloggers like this: