By: Elias Kayondo
KCCA FC made history as the only East African club to make it to the group stages of the CAF Champions League 2018 becoming the first Uganda club to reach this far in this tournament.
To come this far, Uganda’s champions defeated CNAPS in the preliminary round before winning the Ethiopian giants St. George in a much contested 1-0 win at Lugogo.
www.Swiftsportsug.com brings u what awaits KCCA FC ahead of the draw for the group stages.
There are 16 teams ready to tussle it out at this stage. For this year 2018, these teams are;
– Mbabane Swallows(SWA)
– Zesco United(ZAM)
– Mamelodi Sundowns(RSA)
– Township Rollers(BOT)
– Premeiro De Agosto(ANG)
– Al Ahly (EGY)
– Difaa EL Jadidi(MAR)
– MC Alger(ALG)
– Wydad Casablanca(MAR)
– ES Setif(TUN)
– ES Sahel(TUN)
– TP Mazembe(DRC)
– Kampala City (UGA)
– AS Togo Port ( TOGO)
The 16 teams are grouped into 4.
The winners and their runners up from each group proceed to the next round which is the quarter finals.
Each group is played on a home and away round robin basis.
Incases where teams from the same group end up with a tie, the following tiebreakers are applied.
– Points in head to head matches among the tied teams.
– Goal difference in head to head among the tied teams.
– Goals scored in head to head among the tied teams.
– Away goals scored in head to head among the tied teams.
– If more than two teams are tied, and after applying the head to head criteria, a subset of teams are still tied, all head to head criteria (as above stated above) are reapplied exclusively to this subset of teams.
– Goal difference in all group matches.
-Goals scored in all group matches.
– Away goals scored in all group matches.
– Drawing of lots.
The draws for the 2018 edition of the CAF Champions League group stages will take place on Wednesday 21st, March, 2018 and the first games of the group stages will be played on 4th, May,2018 with the last group games scheduled for 28th, May, 2018.