SINAN RAJUB SENOGA
Uganda’s “Mr. Safe hands” Denis Masinde Onyango has been ranked among the top goalkeepers of 2018 by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS).
The Cranes skipper and Mamelodi Sundowns shot stopper is the only African player ranked on a star-studded 19-man list that was released by the global statistics body.
Onyango who has also been nominated for the African Player of the year award last week, is joint 16th on the rankings sheet tied with Russia’s Igor Akinfeev, Mexican Guillermo Ochoa and Yann Sommer of Borussia Monchengladbach.
Former Chelsea Belgian number one Thibaut Courtois has been named the best goalkeeper of the entire year having garnered a whooping total of 181 votes.
World Cup winner Hugo Lloris follows in the second place ahead of Gianluigi Buffon, Keylor Navas and Jan Oblak who are in the 3rd, 4th and fifth positions respectively.
Barcelona’s Marc André Ter Stegen, Liverpool’s Alisson Ramses Becker, David De Gea of Manchester United, Croatian Danijel Subasic and Manuel Neuer complete the top 10.
For starters, this is the second time Onyango has appeared in the IFFHS annual World’s Best goalkeeper ranking having previously made it among the top 10 in 2016.
The IFFHS World’s Best Goalkeeper award is given annually since 1987 to the most outstanding goalkeeper of the year as voted by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics. The votes are cast by IFFHS’s editorial staff as well as experts from different continents.
1. Thibaut Courtois – Belgium (Chelsea/ Real Madrid) 181 points
2. Hugo Lloris – France (Tottenham) 109 points
3. Gianluigi Buffon – Italy (Juventus/PSG) 59 points
4. Keylor Navas – Costa Rica (Real Madrid) 58 points
5. Jan Oblak – Slovenia (Atletico Madrid) 49 points
_ Marc André Ter Stegen – Germany (Barcelona) 49 points
7. Allison Ramses Becker – Brazil (Liverpool) 36 points
8. David De Gea – Spain (Manchester United) 33 points
9. Danijel Subasic – Croatia (AS Monaco) 23 points
10. Manuel Neuer – Germany (Bayern Munich) 20 points
11. Jordan Pickford – England (Everton) 11 points
12. Kasper Schmeichel – Denmark (Leicester City) 9 points
13. Ederson – Brazil (Manchester City) 6 points
14. Samir Handanovic – Slovenia (Inter Milan) 4 points
15. Franco Armami – Argentina ( River Plate) 3 points
16. Igor Akinfeev – Russia (CSKA Moscow) 1 point
_ Guillermo Ochoa – Mexico (Standard Liege) 1 point
_Denis Onyango – Uganda (Mamelodi Sundowns) 1 point
_Yann Sommer -Switzerland (Monchengladbach) 1 point.